March is upon us, STAAR and Stanford/Aprenda are just right around the corner, and the grind is getting to us all!
Yet, even as time is racing by, we need to take time to pause and recognize the AMAZING teachers and staff we have and the IMPRESSIVE work being done by our students.
A massive shout out goes to Ms. McBride, Ms. Espinosa, & Ms. Finley for going above and beyond to help our 4th grade students in these crucial, final 12 days before their STAAR assessment.
Family Literacy Afternoon was a resounding success! Thanks to all who contributed — especially Ms. Ryans, Ms. Garcia, Ms. Tate, and the entire curriculum committee.
Ms. Gardea was just commenting the other day on how awesome the display cases look right now. Shout out to Ms. Frazier, Ms. Henderson, Ms. Sparks, and Ms. Ortiz for showcasing our students’ work in a creative way! Be sure to check them out!
Shout out to our 2nd and 3rd grade teams for doing an outstanding job implementing the Laser i3 program. The 2nd grade unit on butterfly life cycles and 3rd grade unit on plants and pollination is challenging our students to think critically about science in an inquiry-based way that is new to both the students and teachers. Pop into their rooms sometime this week to see more!
- Our office staff has done such an outstanding job these past couple of weeks planning and coordinating events for our students. Special thanks to Ms. Martinez, Ms. Moreno, and Ms. Duenes for helping us reward our students for perfect attendance and honor roll!
MVP’S with a TWIST
Ms. Finley challenged our math classrooms last week from PK-5 to create their own word problems! Click on some of these amazing products (for more, be sure to see the MVP bulletin board)!
Medina (1st grade)
Honor Roll Afternoon Tea
So many links!
Be sure you check out some of the newest links to the left – especially Read Works (compliments of Ms. McBride)!
- Ms. Finley has been working incredibly hard these past couple weeks! Between fulfilling her duties as testing coordinator and teacher-mentor, giving professional development, and helping our students from Kinder to 5th, Ms. Finley is always operating on all cylinders. Check out her Bevo-inspired goal poster below.
- Ms. Pantoja gets a first-ever back-to-back Greatness shout out. Even after taking a…spill in the courtyard and getting an epic bruise, she demanded to come back to work to help make sure our fall festival is a success! What a trooper!
- Ms. Espinosa and Ms. Ryans helped make our cheerleaders’ Thursday UH performance a resounding success! Thanks for dedicating your time and energy to helping our students experience something they will never forget.
10 minute PD – SMART made simple
Check out Episode 1 of “SMART made simple.” This week you’ll learn where to find ready-made SMARTboard resources and how to use “Anagrams” – an outstanding, engaging vocabulary review tool. Remember: using your SMARTboard as just a projector screen is the classroom equivalent of only using a treadmill as a place to hang wet clothes. Take a couple of minutes and learn about a resource you can use in your classroom next week!
- Ms. Frazier has had quite a month: 10 days of Neuhaus training, more days of BISI training, scheduling/running ARD’s, and taking over our resource position! She’s a model for what it means to tirelessly work for our students!
- 2nd Grade Team for being all stars every week during PLC’s. They come prepared and organized, which makes for the most productive 57 minutes possible! Keep it up!
- Mr. Lara has really stepped it up in integrating cross-curricular activities into P.E. and taking ownership of our school-wide SIP goals! Go check out his skip counting cut outs!
- Ms. De La Paz for coming up with the most innovative ways to use Crack the Code. She’ll be enjoying a 30 minute extended lunch next week! Thanks again to Mr. Luna for sharing the resource (see CTC post below for more information).
- Ms. Pantoja is one of the most flexible members of our staff. She’s constantly balancing her own duties with covering classes during meetings. The other day she had to cover for an unexpectedly long meeting and ran out of plans provided by the teacher. She improvised and began a read aloud with engaging questioning! Way to go above and beyond, Ms. Pantoja!
IDEA OF THE WEEK
Whenever Ms. Ryans' students encounter a vocab word in their own personal reading, they add it to this roll.
Here's what they do...
When the roll can extend across the room, the whole class will have a celebration!
The first nine weeks has already come and gone!
Here’s your urgency update — as of Monday, days until major assessment:
KINDER Stanford/Aprenda: 27
5th STAAR Math: 91
5th STAAR Reading: 92
4th STAAR Writing: 92/93
3rd/4th STAAR Math: 110
3rd/4th STAAR Reading: 111
5th STAAR Science: 112
Stanford/Aprenda 1st-5th: 119
Keep stepping it up and we’ll get it done! Have a great weekend!
Ms. Gardea | Mr. Presley
Check out the Greatness of Gallegos, Week 8 Edition!
Just click the Powerpoint link below!
Powerpoint: greatness of gallegos | week 8
Crack the Code video: http://vimeo.com/30526953